Most secure VPN service?

Having trouble with your Linux system?

Most secure VPN service?

Postby mickburkesnr » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:59 pm

After months of toying with the idea, I'd like to use a VPN service for my internet use. I'm aware that in the good ol' US of A they can effectively ask any American company to hand over user details. I want to avoid this, not that I'm up to any wrong doing but just for the peace of mind that I am truly secure.

So, does anyone know of a UK or Swiss based VPN service? And what would be better?
mickburkesnr

Re: Most secure VPN service?

Postby orangedolphin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:07 pm

Preferably not UK based, Theresa May would love to read everyone's everything like it was the Daily Mail...
orangedolphin

Postby orangedolphin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Maybe http://www.freelan.org/ might be any good, p2p sounds like the way to do it.
orangedolphin

Postby M-Saunders » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:28 am

I've heard a lot of people recommend https://www.privateinternetaccess.com. They are based in the US, but they claim to "not maintain any logs of any kind, period", so even if the feds come knocking on the door, they don't have anything to hand over. Of course, you have to trust them on their word with that...
M-Saunders

Postby mickburkesnr » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:08 am

orangedolphin wrote:Preferably not UK based, Theresa May would love to read everyone's everything like it was the Daily Mail...

You know I never thought Maggie Thatcher could have an ugly sister. Just shows you how wrong I can be!

I have seen the PIA one, it seems to have good reviews but I'd like to know how they can prove that they don't keep any logs etc.

I'm going to keep looking, maybe spend an evening trawling the internet for one and collate the information and put it back here. I can't be the only one looking for a non-US based VPN!
mickburkesnr

Postby mickburkesnr » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:05 am

I haven't actually found a VPN yet, but I did come across this article on The Reg about insecure VPN's:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30 ... ity_tests/

Damn and blast.
mickburkesnr

Postby Huw » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:59 pm

mickburkesnr wrote:I have seen the PIA one, it seems to have good reviews but I'd like to know how they can prove that they don't keep any logs etc.

What would constitute sufficient proof, besides your personally inspecting their data centre?

There's no US law requiring service providers to keep logs, however European law does require it. I'd trust a US VPN over a European VPN any day.
Huw

Postby mickburkesnr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:59 am

I know this was started a good long time ago, but much has changed in the UK so I think this is important as ever.

I found a service called NordVPN, a bit pricey in comparison but they're based in Panama and you can pay with Bitcoins or other anonymous methods. Actually, I think Bitcoin is the only one but I could be wrong.

I signed up now for 2 years as it was cheaper to do it this way, and they offer Tor over VPN and Double VPN options as well. So yeah, I recommend them at the moment.
mickburkesnr

Postby james_MacDonald » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 pm

We can't fully trust Vpn services. Most of the time they sell data to other 3rd parties.
james_MacDonald

Postby Huw » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 pm

james_MacDonald wrote:We can't fully trust Vpn services.

We can't fully trust anyone.

Most of the time they sell data to other 3rd parties.

Citation needed.
Huw

Return to Help