Dual Boot Windows 10 / BIOS / UEFI......

Having trouble with your Linux system?

Dual Boot Windows 10 / BIOS / UEFI......

Postby piloti » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:46 am

An old topic I know, but one still unresolved for me.

I have a new Acer Revo RL85 [ http://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/series/revoone]. From a W10 view, more than happy with it. My issue I think is around the BIOS / UEFI. In simple terms I just can not get the thing to dual boot with W10 and Ubuntu.

I have set up other machines in the past to dual boot, but these have been "BIOS" machines, not "UEFI" machines. I can see from within W10 that the partition has worked aok, W10 sees the 100gb set aside for Ubuntu and within Settings > Recovery > Advanced it even sees Ubuntu as something it can boot to; or at least is aware of. Moreover, in the BIOS there are four boot options: LAN, CD/DVD, Removable and Windows Boot Loader.

No matter which order I set them up as, I can't get the BIOS to present Grub. Either it boots W10 automatically, or, if I have the USB stick in, I get the Live Ubuntu loading. I’ve turned the “Secure Boot” on and off with no success, Launch CSM on and off, and one or two other settings. I’ve even added a password to the BIOS [I read this on another forum….] and, as I expected, nothing.

So, two questions…..
Does anybody have solutions?
Has anybody managed to get this particular machine to Dual Boot or am I still going to be in a world of needing to run two machines, one for W10 and another for Ubuntu ?
Thanks in advance.
P.
piloti

Re: Dual Boot Windows 10 / BIOS / UEFI......

Postby piloti » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:07 am

So, my main objective was to have my new, small, desktop, dual booting with Ubuntu and W10. I have been using Ubuntu on an old laptop for around six years and the purchase of new machine gave me the incentive to dual boot.

The standard configuration of my machine in an Intel i3 processor, 4gigs of Ram and a 500g spinning disc hard drive. All of this did successfully run Ubuntu, either in a partition on the drive or directly from a usb stick, in Live mode. So no hardware issues.

When I tried to manipulate the UFI to allow me to dual boot, I could not get this working. It was either Windows or Ubuntu. I have changed a number of settings in the UEFI / BIOS, enabling and disabling the Secure Boot / Launch CSM, legacy and some other settings. Alas, to no avail.

In the end, I have decided to replace the 500g disc with a 240g SSD, putting the 500g as a second drive in one of the spare bays and have made the entire machine Ubuntu. I am now, again, Windowsless.

There were a couple of reasons I wanted Windows, partly to have Outlook and partly One Note. Both are, in my view, excellent programmes and, despite the views that this will illicit, there are no comparable Linux alternatives. Maybe the Outlook item will become a thread by itself, I'm not going to elaborate more here.

I am now writing this post on my Ubuntu machine, having been 100% Ubuntu once more for a week now and with three small areas or disappointment about not having Windows, I am more than happy with Ubuntu 16.04. I may post my thoughts about Windows 'v' Ubuntu somewhere else in these fora.

This post has received almost 650 views and no replies, which does suggest that the move to UEFI is causing and will continue to cause some issues for the Linux community, especially the "newbies" market, where the need to dual boot, until people have the confidence in Linux, is essential.

P.
piloti

Re: Dual Boot Windows 10 / BIOS / UEFI......

Postby reactiv8 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:15 pm

P,

TBH I did recently try to install a dual boot (Windoze 10 & Linux Mint) on a new laptop, but I confess this was beyond me ...
- I could have installed Mint on its own but the UEFI did not seem to permit a dual boot.
However as this was for a client, they wanted to keep the Windoze installation (their choice).

As far as I understand, M$ are increasingly making a dual boot next to impossible, so unless you physically install another HDD/SSD alongside, I believe you are going to find this a no go ...
(Correct me if I'm wrong Linux peeps?! - Once upon a time, the late 'LittleBrian' might have offered you a better explanation, but sadly he is no longer with us).

As I'm very happy with Lovely Linux, I just gladly overwrite M$ Windoze at the first opportunity.
- Not much help to you I appreciate, but perhaps 'practice' with an older laptop/desktop?

Pardon for the delay replying - We almost always try to help!!!

Chris.
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
― Oscar Wilde, 'The Nightingale and the Rose'
reactiv8

Return to Help