Accessing UEFI - Changing Boot order etc

Having trouble with your Linux system?

Accessing UEFI - Changing Boot order etc

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:06 am

Pardon folks, this shouldn't be a problem and I took it for granted years ago.
However since I installed SSD in my Zoostorm Intel Core i7 it starts so quickly that I can't access the UEFI now to change the boot order.
I want to install Mint 18 but the system boots into the OS on the SSD before I can stop it
- I've tried tapping 'Del', F12 & 'Esc' to no avail :cry:

This is making me feel like a right chump !!!
- The only thing I can think of next is physically disconnecting the SSD ...

Has any one else encountered this I wonder ?

Any ideas pretty please ???
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
― Oscar Wilde, 'The Nightingale and the Rose'
reactiv8

Re: Accessing UEFI - Changing Boot order etc

Postby mickburkesnr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 am

I have had this loads of times on various computers over the years.

Try F10, or F8.

If this doesn't work, go in to the BIOS and there should be an option to extend the boot up sequence. Something like checking the memory, it'll buy you a bit more time.
mickburkesnr

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:51 am

Thanks Mick ...

Major frustration :evil:

Eventually I got access to the AMI Gigabyte UEFI Dual BIOS by physically disconnecting the SSD (the old HDD only contains data).

So, after a quick look around I saw that 'Fast Boot' was set to 'Ultra Fast' (explains why I couldn't stop it ...) ...
I changed the boot order and had a quick look at Mint 18 on a DVD.
It looked ok and was immediately compatible, so I thought 'fine' I'll install it later ...
Ejected the DVD and re-connected the SSD and I thought I could carry on as normal ...
Oh, no - Grub had apparently been corrupted somehow, so I was obliged to install Mint 18 or have no system (apart from LiveCD/DVD).

BTW - The 'interrupt' for this UEFI BIOS is 'Del' - Don't know why it didn't respond to my tapping 'Del' ...

As I suspected, after installation many of my favourite apps are no longer available which is infuriating of course.
Most significantly Picasa is gone (I know it hasn't been supported for several years, but I always loved it
- so useful for batch processing of images
- scaling down & compressing batches of images ...

Also Audio Recorder (a PPA), a lovely simple little app for for recording audio streams - Gone ...

Mint 17.3 is supported until April 2019 of course and I should have stayed with it, instead of letting curiosity get the better of me :roll:

Pardon, excuse the rant, but when one has invested so many hours tuning a system it is really frustrating to have to start again of course ...

In due course I'll be asking about alternatives for the above - I already knew about Shotwell which is good, but I haven't found a way to batch process images (yet) - Scaling down & compressing ... ???

Grrr etc.
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
reactiv8

Postby mickburkesnr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:12 am

To be honest I bought an Asus laptop last year that came with this UEFI thing. I couldn't be bothered working out how to make Linux work with it so I disabled it in the BIOS. To me there's no benefit in UEFI, so for it to be turned off doesn't cause me any problems.

You could try that? You may find Linux Mint works off the bat then?
mickburkesnr

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks Mick!

With this UEFI/BIOS, there is the option of accessing the features with 'Classic View', but sadly this is too late to save Grub on my SSD ...
- I might have recovered it with some patience, but that is not a virtue of mine ...

As I understand it UEFI was brought on by M$ as a way of preventing us from ditching Windoze on the hardware we buy ?!

I'll have to find another audio stream recorder and get to grips with Shotwell ...
- In some ways I should have done this years ago as Picasa ran in an emulator anyway (Wine) ...

Ho hum etc ....

Chris.
reactiv8

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Right that's it - I've had enough of Mint 18 'Sarah' - Apparently it is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) ...
- I've just had another error message trying to install an Equaliser Plug-in for Rhythmbox and get the same error message :~

I'm going back to Mint 17.3 - What a waste of a day - Thanks Ubuntu/Mint - Grrrrrr etc :evil:
reactiv8

Postby mickburkesnr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:37 am

Oh no, Micro$hite brought out UEFI for security. So you couldn't mess about with with the OS. But you're right, it's just a way for them to make it difficult for you to change the OS. In the last few days Microsoft have released an update for Windows RT stopping people using it's dev mode to put Linux on there. So they've more or less bricked their own device now.

And that's weird, I have Sarah on my laptop and it's been running fine?
mickburkesnr

Postby reactiv8 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:05 pm

Mick,

Mint 18 worked OK, but sadly not with Personal Package Archives (PPAs) ...

Perhaps this doesn't bother some folk, but I want EQ for Rhythmbox (my favourite music player) and Audio Recorder (brilliantly simple audio recorder for audio streams) ...

I did notice that with Mint 18, Get_iplayer is in the repositories - One has to install it with a PPA with Mint 17.3 ...

Perhaps these niggles will be resolved in due course, so I would welcome any feedback from you or any one else who is using Mint 18 'Mate' ?!

Thanks,
Chris.
reactiv8

Postby mickburkesnr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:48 pm

You know it's funny, since replying to this and using Linux Mint 18 I had to get shot of it. I had so many problems with trying to get a LAMP environment set up. Whats more, at the time, I was up against a deadline. Had to work all night on it. So when I got home from work at 5pm, it wasn't until 9m could I actually start work on the project. If Linux Mint had behaved, I'd have gone to bed a full 4 hours earlier. But no, I ended up getting 30 minutes and going to work for another full day.

Currently "rocking" elementary OS but it's a temporary fix until the project is resolved.
mickburkesnr

Postby reactiv8 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Mick,

pardon for the delay in replying !!! Yes, my over-confidence in Mint 18 was misplaced ... It has always been a trusty update in the past so I'm disappointed ...
- I'll give it another try soon though because a client has asked me to install Linux on a used Asus i3 laptop with M$ Windoze 10 currently.
They don't need all the 'bells & whistles' that I require, so should be happy with Mint 18 which is supported until April 2021 of course ...
I suggested that they let me build a desktop from this Zoostorm http://www.ebuyer.com/748386-zoostorm-origin-desktop-pc-7260-3067, but folk never listen of course ...

Dum de dum etc,
Chris,
reactiv8

Next

Return to Help