Assisting Visually handicapped. Advice please

Having trouble with your Linux system?

Assisting Visually handicapped. Advice please

Postby eionmac » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Dear folks, 20160826, Greetings, it is not often I get po this forum but I would seek help from my betters. Currently I am trying to aid a couple with an old computer on Windows Vista. They also use a live Linux system fro some things, however are tied to Vista due to legacy Windows 3rd party program they use. One of the couple has macular degeneration in the eyes. [ link: https://www.macular.org/what-macular-degeneration]. I have a problem; using windows Vista or windows 10 I can set all background computer titles . frames, icons etc to specific sizes and to yellow on black, so readable. However with Linux OpenSUSE or Linux Mint tried ( I find I can only influence text size and not display of sub programs such as Mozzilla Thunderbird or the browser settings when open on web mail . They are mainly web-mail users.
Attachments
small-typical_yellow-on-black.png
yellow on balk at usable size
small-typical_yellow-on-black.png (48.06 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
eionmac

Re: Assisting Visually handicapped. Advice please

Postby richmond62 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Have you tried working that legacy 3rd party Windows program with WINE?

Most times WINE does the trick: and if that means chucking out Windows Vista for good that is a very good thing indeed.

https://www.winehq.org/
richmond62

Re: Assisting Visually handicapped. Advice please

Postby richmond62 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:53 pm

I use Xubuntu which can be set up so it is very windowsy in terms of its GUI.

My Mum and Dad (86 and 84 respectively) also run their machine with Xubuntu, and are both not as clear sighted as they once were.

They use Thunderbird for their email, and I have had no problem tweaking that for their needs:

Tbird.png
Tbird.png (47.28 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
richmond62

Return to Help