get_iplayer & converting .ts (Video) Transport Stream (Files

Having trouble with your Linux system?

get_iplayer & converting .ts (Video) Transport Stream (Files

Postby reactiv8 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Pardon wise peeps,

I wonder if any one else had had this problem recently ???

Currently I use Mint 'Mate' 17.3 'Rosa' on all my desktop PCs.
I have get_iplayer installed as a .ppa to copy documentaries etc from the BBC iPlayer and (mostly) this has worked just fine till now ...
However, lately, with Mint 18 there is no get_iplayer available with .ppa and my current installation has stopped converting .ts (Video) Transport Stream (Files) to .mp4 :evil:

This is not the end of the world, because they still play but converting them (with VLC media player) to .mp4 works even my main Intel i7 PC with SSD pretty hard !!!

Any ideas pretty please ???

Thanks,
Chris.
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
― Oscar Wilde, 'The Nightingale and the Rose'
reactiv8

Required ffmpeg not found ... (?!?)

Postby reactiv8 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:26 am

Greetings all !!!

Despite a recent update, sadly get_iplayer still only grabs video in .ts format :roll:

On closer inspection of the command line it seems that the "Required ffmpeg utility is not found - not converting .ts file"

Any ideas pretty please ???

Thanks,
Chris.
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
reactiv8

Re: get_iplayer & converting .ts (Video) Transport Stream (F

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:08 am

Incidentally - VLC media player will no longer 'Convert' .ts to .mp4 :evil:
- It still plays with Mint 17.3 'Mate' but much harder to share of course ...

I could also use 'Audio Recorder' with BBC iPlayer, but that is rather tedious ...

Surely this is an issue with other folk ???

Ho hum etc ... :roll:
reactiv8

Playing & editing .m4a files

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:57 am

Hmmm - Even more annoying, I'm now having difficulty with radio programmes too ...
- They record as .m4a files, but when it gets to the end, get_iplayer starts at the beginning again deleting/'over-writing' the recording !!!
- This is infuriating of course and I only managed to get around this by manually stopping get_iplayer ...

Also the default player will not let one 'jump about' in the recording - This can only be done with VLC media player ...

Sound Converter won't work either !!!
- I wanted to change the Bitrate (from 320kbps) ...

Incidentally, I'm trying to copy/share the Young Choristers of the Year - 2016 on Radio 4 - Wednesday 26th October at 22:00 ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07zn3cl

I used to take all of this for granted once upon a time ...
- Why has it all gone wrong ??? :?
reactiv8

HandBrake ~ Overheating CPU - Shortening life ...

Postby reactiv8 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:33 pm

What concerns me the most about transcoding (altering and audio/video file from one format to another)
"It is highly CPU intensive, uses 100% of all CPU cores and runs for long periods. As a result my CPU gets excessively hot." ...

Apparently a Command Line programme called HandBrake can control overheating.

Full Circle Magazine - Page 19 :~

http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue114_en.pdf

In the meantime I'm going to have a break from transcoding as it seems that the BBC are no longer keen to allow copying ...

Just sayin' etc.

Chris.
reactiv8

Postby richmond62 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:42 pm

richmond62

Er ...

Postby reactiv8 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks @richmond62 - This is slightly more complicated than I had hoped, so I'll need to read and learn !!!

I'll get back to you when I've taken a deep breath !!! :geek:

Chris.
reactiv8

Postby johnlane » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:08 am

I have get_iplayer 2.94 running on Arch Linux. I think the latest is 2.97 but I don't update it unless something stops working.

I have just this minute downloaded a programme (with the default-selected flashhigh1 mode) and it saved as MP4. The get_iplayer processed it through RTMPDump 2.4 and ffmpeg 3.14.

I convert all my recordings into MPEG-TS format because that works better with my televisions (mostly Panasonics) - they will play MP4 but they can't pause/forward/rewind. I have a Sony that works fine with MP4 so YMMV. I deliever content to my TVs from an ARM board (currenty a CubieBoardA20 running Arch Linux, but I digress) DLNA server (MediaTomb). Note that going from MP4 to MPEG-TS is just container format changing, the underlying codecs are fine (typically video is H264 and audio is AAC) which means that I don't need to transcode. I use ffmpeg to do this:

Code: Select all
$ ffmpeg -i $infile -codec copy -bsf h264_mp4toannexb -y -f mpegts $outfile

The -bsf parameter applies a bitstream filter h264_mp4toannexb which is required for MPEG-TS (see https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream ... p4toannexb). The -codec copy causes the contained data to be copied rather than transcoded.

You mentioned that you saw a message inticating that ffmpeg was not available. Have you tried installing it? I don't use Mint, but the Ubuntu package might help.

You could manually install get_iplayer if there isn't a package for Mint. Take a look at the Arch package build, or you can get it from upstream and its Github repo.

I briefly covered Handbrake back in LV issue 10 but I don't need to use it for iplayer downloads. I personally prefer to stick with the command-line tools :)

HTH
John

PS: video processing is very CPU intensive, especially transcoding. You need a reasonably powerful machine to do it. I use a 1st generation core-i7 which copes admirably.
johnlane

Required ffmpeg not found ... (?!?)

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:50 am

John,

thanks !!!

I tried this install which added a box in iPlayer with some instructions and a command line.

However when I tried to run this in Terminal I still got this :~

Pardon, but I'm now stuck - I thought ffmpeg was installed and it shows :~

I'm really stuck and confused now - Ho hum etc ... I seemed to have made some progress, but I now need to stick my head in a bucket of iced water !!! - Oh and go out and do some shopping ...

I'll try again in due course, but all your help is gratefully received !!!

Oh and BTW - My main PC is a Core-i7 with plenty of RAM & SSD.

Thanks,
Chris. :roll:
Last edited by reactiv8 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reactiv8

Postby johnlane » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 pm

Wow, I want to try that. Would you mind editing your post to include that ffmpeg command-line inbetween code tags ? I'll then try it here...

Something you might try is to replace ffmpeg with avconv in the command-line (leave everything else the same). There was some historic bickering which resulted in a fork of ffmpeg called Libav and this provided avconv as its clone of ffmpeg. Debian and, indirectly, its derivatives such as Ubunt adoped Libav although I believe they have since switched back. You problem may be just that you have the Libav fork. You can check what's installed with

Code: Select all
$ which fmpeg avconv
johnlane

Next

Return to Help