4K Monitor with appropriate Graphic Card ???

Having trouble with your Linux system?

4K Monitor with appropriate Graphic Card ???

Postby reactiv8 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Pardon wise peers !!!

For some time now I've been thinking about 'updating' my main desktop PC (Intel Core i7-4790 CPU, 12GB RAM with shared graphics, 120GB SSD) to run a 4K Monitor.
I'm assuming that I would need an appropriate Graphic Card to run this too?
(I'm presently using an old 28" 1920x1200 Monitor which lacks definition somewhat now)
This is in an effort to mimic (perhaps) what one can have with a much more expensive Apple iMac, but running Lovely Linux with a Minty Freshness !!!
My preferred Distro is Mint 17.3 Rosa 'Mate' 64-bit currently.

Is anyone already doing this and/or do you have any advice/suggestions pretty please ??? :?:

Thanks,
Chris. :mrgreen:
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
― Oscar Wilde, 'The Nightingale and the Rose'
reactiv8

Re: 4K Monitor with appropriate Graphic Card ???

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Meanwhile, I've been browsing for suitable Monitors and presently this Acer Predator (3840 x 2160) seems to be the only one at ebuyer ...
- Once upon a time they had more, so perhaps folk are not so interested in 4K for their desktops now ??? Hmmmm etc ... :?

I would be very grateful for advice about a suitable Graphic Card, otherwise it will be 'trial and error' if I take the leap ??!!??

Chris.
“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.”
reactiv8

Postby reactiv8 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm

I'm sorry not to have any responses here ... :cry:

I would welcome your experiences or why you're not bothered with 4K monitors ???

I'm 95% happy with Lovely Linux, but I am aware that Apple hardware looks good and I've seen Mint running on an iMac 27" hence I want better for my desktop - One day 8-)

Chris.
reactiv8

Postby Rhakios » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:59 am

Okay, I'll bite. I have a decent LED monitor, 1080p is perfectly adequate for my needs as regards the space available on-screen. Videos at 720p and 1080p look fine to me too. Why would I want to spend money I don't have on a screen that is better than I need?
Rhakios

Postby reactiv8 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks @Rhakios

I understand what you mean about videos, but I like photography and brief experiences of Apple Retina displays have shown me what is possible.
For example, when I'm processing RAW images in the digital darkroom, I think I lose a lot of contrast with my (now ancient) 28" 1920 x 1200 monitor ...
Granted I could replace it with a 24" monitor, but rather than running multiple monitors, I like to keep everything on one.

I was hoping that my wise peers would share their experiences with graphics cards etc, because presently I use shared RAM and it is already at its limit.

Chris.
reactiv8

Postby Rhakios » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:05 pm

If you have specific needs for photography, then you might do better to ask on a photographers' forum. Nvidia cards, for example, can use their proprietary drivers, so performance should be pretty similar even on different OSes.
Rhakios

Postby reactiv8 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Ah, thanks @Rhakios.

In my experience most photographers use Apple or M$ Windoze ... Worth a try though I suppose ...

Chris.
reactiv8

Return to Help