Why is XFCE just a flirtation for people?

Chat about life, Linux and free software

Why is XFCE just a flirtation for people?

Postby mickburkesnr » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:33 pm

From various blog posts, videos and other material regarding desktop environments for Linux, XFCE gets a lot of praise for its customisation and speed. However, it's tampered with comments that people did like it and used it but found themselves moving away from it after a month or some other short amount of time.

One day I replaced Kubuntu on my laptop and installed Fedora, and decided to give XFCE a whirl. It's been nearly 3 weeks using it and I'm really happy with it. I've made some amendments to the desktop, changed the menu style etc. But I have found that the battery life has improved dramatically with XFCE. I can't comment on performance as the laptop isn't slow anyway even when running the dreaded Windows 8 I bought it with.

So for me, XFCE works really well and I enjoy using it. Which confuses me even more, why do people see XFCE as a flirtation and not something more long term?

Remember: For desktop environments it isn't Netflix and Chill, it's Amazon Prime and Commitment.
mickburkesnr

Re: Why is XFCE just a flirtation for people?

Postby Rhakios » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:14 pm

My only reservation with XFCE is that it doesn't implement single-click (which I like, being lazy) very well, certainly nowhere near as well as KDE used to, and not as well as Cinnamon does. So, on low resource machines I'm happy to use XFCE, but otherwise I use Cinnamon.
Rhakios

Postby reklan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:17 pm

My First intro into Linux many many years ago was using KDE which i used religiously until KDE4, tried Gnome, Unity and many others, but found my home with XFCE (Xubuntu to be more precise)..

Its light and fast, I can customise to my hearts content AND its very Gamer friendly for running games in a window/full screen...

I prefer the double click rather than single click, so for me no probs there...
reklan

Postby Grimmy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:07 am

Rhakios wrote:My only reservation with XFCE is that it doesn't implement single-click (which I like, being lazy) very well, certainly nowhere near https://peblueprint.com/bathmate-review as well as the bathmate KDE used to, and not as well as Cinnamon does. So, on low resource machines I'm happy to use XFCE, but otherwise I use Cinnamon.

Same thing here, having to double click all the time gets on my nerves. It's so much easier with single click and very noticeable. I'm using Cinnamon as well and loving it so far. I just wish XFCE had single click.
Last edited by Grimmy on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grimmy

Postby slc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:24 pm

I have used XFCE for many years
Where does a single click not work? so requiring a double click. It is not something I have ever really noticed.
I use single click all the time.
slc

Postby Rhakios » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:02 pm

A couple of quick examples: 1. to open anything from the desktop, 2. to open a connection from gigolo in the file manager.
Rhakios

Postby slc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:24 am

XFCE 4.12
1. Right click on desktop >> Desktop settings >> Icons >> Single click to activate items
2. Not a clue, don't use it. :-)
slc

Postby Rhakios » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:48 pm

So you have to set single click on the desktop and in Thunar? That's some sort of twisted logic.
Oh yes and it also requires double click in Firefox save dialogues boxes IIRC. But, who knows, that might just be a FF thing. Not sure if it requires it in all of such though.
Anyway, I'm happy with Cinnamon and my desktop PC can take it. I just keep XFCE for old machines.
Rhakios

Postby DJM » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:36 pm

I'm surprised Mike hasn't chimed in on this one.

Personally, I preferred some of the extra creature comforts I had in gnome 2 (and now mate).
DJM

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 am

[quote="DJM"]I'm surprised Mike hasn't chimed in on this one.

I simply agree with what the others say :-) Fast, light(-ish), customisable, and fits in nicely with Gtk apps. Stays familiar and doesn't chase the latest "interface paradigm" fads or crazes.
M-Saunders

Next

Return to Discussion