New Contact Photo in Android

Chat about life, Linux and free software

New Contact Photo in Android

Postby johnlane » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 pm

I added a new contact number into my Android phone and a photo appeared for it. I only keyed in the number and a name, no photo. I'm puzzled how this happened. I did send a SMS to the contact after adding it and I don't know if the photo appeared before or after doing that. It is a new number that I've never used before and the photo that appeared isn't one that was already on my phone. I was unaware that contact photos were transmitted with SMS messages.

Can anyone shed any light on how this works...?
johnlane

Re: New Contact Photo in Android

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:45 pm

It can happen if that number is linked to a Google+ profile, or anything else the owner of the number might have of Google's.
Pictures representing several of my contacts have changed over the years as they have changed the picture they associate with their profile. It doesn't require or get any intervention on my part.
Rhakios

Postby johnlane » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 am

Ahh yes that looks like what has happened.

So when you enter a number into your contacts, Google snoops it and sucks it onto their servers so they can add it to their database (err, I mean look up and serve the photo). There's another reason to get Google off the phone...
johnlane

Postby Rhakios » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:41 pm

Weeeell, assuming you have the default back-up settings, all your information is carried on their servers anyway, so that any new device you get can be set up automagically with all your preferred settings and information.
As for the other bit, I'm sure they would regard linking information they have as a feature. I assume they already have your new contact's number, which is how they could link it to a profile picture.
Rhakios

Postby mickburkesnr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:50 am

A few providers do this, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, anything that curates user information will want to keep hold of it. And if you're providing it new information about the person, even better!

I remember talking about how Facebook uses facial recognition to suggest friends for you to add. I came off the site a few years ago for about 2 years, then had to go back on to build a presence for my company on the site. I didn't use a photo for ages, and all was well. The minute I uploaded a photograph of myself though.... BAM! The "People you may know" feature was full of people I actually did know. What was worse was that I was now visible to them. Over the weekend I had 40 friends requests. This annoyed me, as I didn't want friends on Facebook.

But hey, look at me now. Consuming cat photos and watching videos of babies doing baby things but people find amazingly funny.

Shoot me. Please.
mickburkesnr

Postby Aholiclene » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:56 am

johnlane wrote:Ahh yes that looks like what has happened.

So when you enter a number into your contacts, Google snoops it and sucks it onto their servers so they can add it to their database (err, I mean look up and serve the photo). There's another reason to get Google off the phone...

Oh, I just know now. I would rather get Google out of my phone then! Thanks for the tip, mate!
Aholiclene

Return to Discussion