A(short) Linux wishlist.....

Chat about life, Linux and free software

A(short) Linux wishlist.....

Postby piloti » Thu May 19, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi all.
I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Quite happy with it and not found a need to change.
But there are two things I'd really like to have.

First, unity has a calendar / clock in the top right corner. The calendar is a bit useless though as all it is is a calendar. Just shows dates. The first thing I'd like would be to have my appointments [meetings, rendezvous' and tasks etc] included so that I don't always have to have Thunderbird open. A quick flick to the top would be be enough to give me a quick view. At the moment I tend to use my mobile for the same, even when I'm in front of my computer.

The second thing I'd like is a little more complicated to explain. A see through web browser. Or more accurately for the desk top / wallpaper to be the browser. Not Google Chrome-esq which is still just a browser but a "desktop browser". Usage scenario for example would be, switch on machine, log on and the browser is there, showing my three most used sites, one of which is an IRC site. So 80% text based. Another usage scenario would be that it simply sits in the background, as wallpaper and a quick "show desktop" would have it there, rather than changing desktops or alt-tabbing through applications until the browser is there. And then back.

I know these requests are both "lazy man using a computer" scenarios' but it I what I'm looking for.....

If these were available in a different desktop or a different distribution or even just a different PIM then I'd be more than happy to change and try an alternative
piloti

Re: A(short) Linux wishlist.....

Postby huftis » Sun May 22, 2016 4:28 pm

For the Web browser wishlist, this functionality is extremely easy to set up in KDE. Just assign Firefox (or your browser of choice) a keyboard shortcut (e.g., ‘Meta + F’). Whenever you want to see the browser, you would just press ‘Meta’ (i.e. the ‘Windows’ key) and ‘F’. When you wanted to return the application you were using, you would press the keyboard shortcut for minimising an application (and you can choose what keyboard shortcut you want to use for this).

In KDE you can also set up an application to (automatically) run in fullscreen mode, or without a title bar. (And you can set up most browsers to run without a menu bar.) When you log in, KDE will automatically reopen any applications and windows had open when you logged out, so your browser would always be ready to use. You won’t get a real ‘see-through’ Web browser, but the actual functionality would be very similar to what you described.

For the calendar events wishlist, the KDE clock/calendar used to support this. Unfortunately, the feature disappeared after a rewrite of clock widget. However, it will be probably be reimplemented in the future: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359148
huftis

Postby piloti » Tue May 24, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks Huftis.
A move to KDE.... ? I'll have a good think about that !
P.
piloti

Postby huftis » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:10 pm

huftis wrote:For the calendar events wishlist, the KDE clock/calendar used to support this. Unfortunately, the feature disappeared after a rewrite of clock widget. However, it will be probably be reimplemented in the future: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=359148

This will be implemented in the next version, Plasma 5.7, currently in beta and scheduled for release in early July. Here’s a screenshot showing how it will look: https://www.kde.org/announcements/plasm ... events.png

And here’s the complete feature announcement for Plasma 5.7: https://dot.kde.org/2016/06/17/kde-plasma-57-beta
huftis

Return to Discussion