Broadband providers

Chat about life, Linux and free software

Broadband providers

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm looking for a a new broadband provider as I'm moving and my current WISP cannot provide me with a service in my new location.

Its only going to be for me but I will be streaming Amazon, Netflicks etc as I'm not having a TV anymore was looking just at standard ADSL as I can't really justify the additional cost for fibre unless I really have to. Not worried about any call packages as i'm not planning on using a phone on it.
Richard

Re: Broadband providers

Postby Huw » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:45 pm

I will always recommend Zen. I've been with them for years and haven't had a single complaint. Here are some of the main benefits:

• They actually support Linux!
  • They actually answer the phone...
  • When you speak to technical support, you speak to an actual engineer, not a drone reading a script
  • If there's a problem with the BT network Zen will do all the fighting for you
  • Truly unlimited downloads, no throttling, shaping etc
  • They aren't one of the big five so they don't do DNS filtering or anything like that, in fact they're pretty big on privacy

They certainly aren't the cheapest ISP but they're worth every penny in my opinion.
Huw

Postby towy71 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:17 am

I too am a happy Zen customer for 11 years now, all of the above by Huw I can vouch for :D
Wildest wet west Wales
towy71

Postby Richard » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks guys

I'll give them a look.
Richard

Postby feisar » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:44 am

Andrews and Arnold night be worth checking out, they promote a 'real' internet connection (http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-realinternet.html) and have had IPv6 in place for years (helpful IRC community too).
feisar

Postby mickburkesnr » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:43 am

Since moving to my new home I have used BT Infinity. Was cheaper than Virgin as I get the TV and the sport was also an attraction. I got rid of their Homehub and use a Billion router, and the speed has always been consistent. I don't get throttled (not that I notice anyway), and it's been fairly reliable. So, and believe me I feel dirty for this, but BT is worth a look.

Oh God where's the bleach!!!!
mickburkesnr

Postby james_MacDonald » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:51 pm

I am not going to change my address but will change my provider next month because of poor service quality. Cable was down by heavy rain but was not taken care of by the ISP.
james_MacDonald

Return to Discussion