GnuCash and UK VAT

Chat about life, Linux and free software

GnuCash and UK VAT

Postby eionmac » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:52 pm

The main problem keeping me from abandoning Windows is bookkeeping software (FLOSS type program) so I am independent of OS or upgrades etc. Recent Windows 10 update crashed accounts program.
KMyMoney works well for personal cash keeping but not suitable for UK VAT accounts (likewise EU VAT accounts. GnuCash has a UK VAT accounts chart , but it seem s not to work or rather documentation does not permit easy use. (Buy /Sell entries all OK but keeps VAT total in/out for VAT 100 form; but ...how to pay VAT and get it recorded properly thus reducing VAT owed to zero when paid?
Has anyone a working UK VAT GnuCash chart of accounts? (with instructions or documentation)
Has anyone developed or uses GnuCash for UK VAT accounts and who can advise proper use of GnuCash with UK VAT accounts?
A Free bookkeeping software program under Linux is why I cannot give Linux systems to business start up folk who ask for advice. (No VAT obligation bookkeeping then all stuff can be done on Linux distributions.
eionmac

Re: GnuCash and UK VAT

Postby johnlane » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:16 am

I use GnuCash for my sole-trader freelance work, but I don't do VAT. I found it a bit difficult to get into but it's ok now that I am used to it. But that was probably getting used to double-entry accounting, being good and doing it properly (instead of using the shoe-box in the drawer :) ), rather than any fault of the application.

I use the companies/jobs/invoices features but I would call myself an "exceedingly basic user". I could probably do more with it but I've never had urge nor inclination to find out.

I think a tutorial would be a good idea but it needs someone who really knows how it works (which isn't me).

What would be interesting is if Linux Voice actually used it (or another open-source application) for their own accounting.
johnlane

Postby richmond62 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:29 pm

Have a look at this:

http://gnucash.wikia.com/wiki/Create_Tax_table_for_VAT

Over here, in Bulgaria, I just employ an accountant and she does "all that" for me.
richmond62

Postby eionmac » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:02 pm

The problem with that website is it tells you how to set up the input and output tax tables , all ok. That calculates the VAT due. It does not tell you how to pay the VAT owed , (The entry lines for paying the VAT from bank account so that it cancels out the HMRC VAT100 figures arising from the input / output.). GnuCash is originally set up to handle USA/Canadian federal/state and local sales taxes. Which work on a different principle. As long as you are not VAT registered GnuCash works well. I have tried to solve this problem for last 10 years. Thus I use a proprietary accounts program (on Windows OS) to do my company and charity accounts.
eionmac

Postby richmond62 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:14 am

Well that should not stop you from transitioning to Linux as your proprietary
Windows executable will most probably work under WINE:

https://www.winehq.org

https://appdb.winehq.org

I have installed Linux for a large number of people who are fed up with Viruses and all the associated crap
involved in running Windows (not least of all the continuing cost of maintenance) who depend on some
piece of Windows software which they swear blind is "mission-critical", and we get it going on WINE, at which
point there are big smiles all round.
richmond62

Postby towy71 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:57 pm

eionmac wrote:Thus I use a proprietary accounts program (on Windows OS) to do my company and charity accounts.
If you have enough grunt in your machine you could run Windows in a virtual machine ;)
Wildest wet west Wales
towy71

Postby Huw » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:16 pm

Have you tried asking on the gnucash-user mailing list? Surely someone there has encountered this problem.
Huw

Postby james_MacDonald » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:11 am

We are using Winehq for online bookkeeping software ZipBooks. The integration seems okay here.
james_MacDonald

Return to Discussion