Ecosystem Lock In

Chat about life, Linux and free software

Ecosystem Lock In

Postby STLShawn » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 am

I use Microsoft's online services for work and Google's online services for my personal data. I don't think I am alone in this. They offer easy photo backup, some amount of document storage and access to online editors and whatnot. An example of why I use these services is my dependence on OneNote. It is very handy to have the same notebooks that I can access from any machine that is connected to the internet. I have notebooks for research, random data, diagrams, all sorts of things.

I don't like using these services and I don't fully trust the companies behind them, but these services are incredibly useful. If there was an infrastructure like "Ubuntu online" or something, I would definitely change. I do understand that the business model for hosting other people's email, photos, and other data would probably not work out well, but I do dream of having an email and databases at a service that believes in open source software.

Has anyone heard rumblings of such a thing, or is this just a fever dream?
STLShawn

Re: Ecosystem Lock In

Postby Triviadave » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:41 pm

I think LibreOffice online has been mentioned a few times, used in conjunction with OwnCloud, so you keep all of your own data (as far as I am aware), try this:
https://owncloud.org/blog/libreoffice-online-has-arrived-in-owncloud/

On a side note, have you tried BasKet Note Pad (or similar name) as a replacement for OneNote? It has been some time since I used OneNote, so I can't compare feature sets, but it is the closest thing I have found to the version of OneNote I used many (many) years ago. Unfortunately it no longer seems to be in active development, but it is available in Ubuntu's repositories (and possibly other distros' too) to try.
Triviadave

Re: Ecosystem Lock In

Postby Triviadave » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Just spotted how old the above link is. It looks like there was an update to version 2.0 yesterday, here is the link to instructions for installation:
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/
Triviadave

Return to Discussion