ENTROWARE is not replying

Chat about life, Linux and free software

ENTROWARE is not replying

Postby moonlifestrange » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 am

So I am (or will be) new to Ubuntu and Linux Laptops but from my research I have no doubt that I will get the hang of it in no time.
I am an old Windows user and remember the days of MS DOS and commands. I'm also good with learning languages :) So I'm confident that although it'll be new, I will get used to it quite quickly.

My last computer was an XPS15 and I would like a computer that is portable yet powerful. I had the XPS15 Skylake 1 TB SSD 16GB i7 6th Gen Win10, which they don't make anymore (they do 512GB, but not 1TB). I had an entire year of problems. Drivers needing updating, but I never got alerts, static from speakers, from using keyboard, text writing all on its own, blue screens, sudden shutdowns, looping restarts...it was like the twilight zone! During this time I decided that I hate Windows 10 and I'm weary of buying another Dell laptop. I don't want to end up talking to customer service every month with a problem.

So, I came across Entroware the other day. I'm looking at buying the Orion i7 7th Gen Kaby Lake 1TBssd m.2 240gb ssd 32GB DDR4 Ubuntu 16.04. Now like I said, I've not used Ubuntu before, but I've been told that I will love it. Especially the customizing part. However, I have some questions and I have written to Entroware and have not yet heard from them. The issues is that, this is rather urgent and I haven't been able to locate any contact details other than the form and facebook, which hasn't produced a response yet. MY questions regarding the machine are:

a)With such specifications, what is the average battery life I'm looking at: How long does it last with simple web browsing, streaming, using libreoffice. I don't tend to have multiple apps open at one time, and if I'm video editing I'm generally not online. Is it also possible to get a more powerful battery?

b) What is the weight for ORion with the specifications mentioned? Ideally, I'm looking for something maximum at the 2kg mark. I would like for it to be portable, to the point where I'm not getting back aches.

c)As this is a Linux Laptop, would it be okay to get Virtual box for perhaps having an older version of Windows or Mac OS? I haven't tried to alternative software to Adobe CS (although I hear its good) but if need be I would like to be able to have premiere and photoshop so would running either of them in Virtualbox cause any problems?

Please do let me know. And if someone does happen to know the best way to get in touch with Entroware please do let me know, Ideally I'd like to have a laptop of my own by the end of the month. Fingers crossed!
moonlifestrange

Re: ENTROWARE: No Replies

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 am

Hi,

In case you didn't see, we reviewed Entroware laptops in issues 11 and 15 of Linux Voice, which you can download from https://www.linuxvoice.com/creative-commons-issues/ -- might be worth checking out before you place the order.

Entroware were always quick to respond when I talked to them, and they still appear to be active on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Entroware/status/822090372704829440

Please let us know how it goes!
M-Saunders

Re: ENTROWARE is not replying

Postby moonlifestrange » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:54 am

I have read the reviews and they have been helpful in a way. I'm still not sure how much Orion bears resemblance to Apollo or Proteus. That would be another question for Entroware :) I have taken to Twitter alas, have not heard from them still. It's frustrating because this is a matter of some urgency and I REALLY don't want to but a Dell. But it's starting to look like that might be the case.
moonlifestrange

Return to Discussion