AppImage - Security?

Chat about life, Linux and free software

AppImage - Security?

Postby Triviadave » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:27 am

I've just discovered AppImage (trying to install the latest version of Digikam following the article in Linux Magazine 197), and it sounds great. It gets around one of the problems I have found many times over the years - it is not always possible to get the most up-to-date version of software in the official repos for a distro. However, I have a couple of questions (it's not really a problem, which is why I put the thread in discussion rather than help) before I want to use it.

First of all, are there any safety implications? I assume that packages within a repository will be free from malware etc, but you would be running something without any oversight on its safety, in this case I suspect that Digikam is pretty respectable, but I am not sure for other packages. If there are potential issues, is there a way to mitigate them? What is the performance like when compared to a traditionally installed application? If it was something you expected to use frequently, would it be worth spending the time to ensure the dependencies were satisfied and installing from the source files yourself? Finally, are there any other implications of using an AppImage 'image' to run software?

I am not expecting a definitive answer, but just wanted to know what people thought.
Triviadave

Return to Discussion