Official article suggestion thread

Comments and questions about the magazine

Re: Official article suggestion thread

Postby vsinitsyn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:00 pm

eftxk7 wrote:In LV26 you write, "Threads are worth a Core Tech of their own (please drop us a line if you are interested in this subject"

I get a lot out of the Core Technology column and look forward to it every issue. It's always great. Since you ask and since I've been thinking to ask if such and article were possible anyway, I'd like to state my interest. It would be very interesting to read. I have no knowledge in the area, but vaguely recall that some architectures like SPARC are more suited for multiple threads, so maybe there is a hardware angle as well.

Thanks for your feedback (and compliments)! Threads are already on the list, but I'll ask the editors if we can push them somewhere near top.
vsinitsyn

rpi as serial console server

Postby eftxk7 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:30 pm

This is more of a hardware idea, but could the raspberry pi (any model) or a beaglebone or similar hardware be turned into a 16-port serial console server to work with networking or other devices? There are a lot of advantages to rolling your own console server. I'd say flexibility, cost, security, and maybe ease of deployment are the advantages over the ready-made, off-the-shelf models. The actual serial hardware would be key whether ending in db-9 or RJ45 connectors. I guess there are some USB-to-serial adapters (prolific or ftdi) as well as PCIexpress or something else. Could they work with the rpi? On the software side, OpenSSH, Tmux/Screen, cu or minicom would be easy to set up.
eftxk7

Postby brokkr » Wed May 18, 2016 7:34 am

With new architectures being released by Nvidia and AMD this year, AMD open sourcing... something and Vulkan gaining traction (or not?), I am somewhat at a loss as to what to think regarding Nvidia vs. AMD. If you could you give an overview of the current status and likely immediate future of graphics - drivers, APIs, open source/proprietary etc. - from a linux user's perspective that would be really helpful.
brokkr

Postby potatopete » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:05 pm

With reference to the latest issue's Fosspicks: I'd love to see a tutorial on the i-score osc sequencer (and maybe PD in general?)
potatopete

home brew init system

Postby eftxk7 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:57 am

If, in the near future, LV will cover init systems (or things that masquerade as such) it would be very informative to walk through building a tiny, rudimentary, proof-of-concept init system. In a familiar scripting language like perl, python, or bash this may be the kind of thing that one could write in less than a few dozen lines, possibly, as all it has to do is start the system enough to provide a login prompt. C would work, too, as long as it is kept small and simple. It doesn't have to meet any standards in regards to function and flexibility. It would be intended purely for teaching / learning about how systems start up, and not to try to outdo other init projects written in thousands of lines of code that are (in some cases) well-debugged and mature. It's more the kind of thing that one could do on a rpi or similar just to get more familiar with system components for people that want to get a feel for the inner workings of the system.
eftxk7

Postby Douglas » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:09 pm

Please can we have a review of open source ERM software.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_E ... e_packages

This might be of interest for your own business too.

Kind regards,

Douglas
Douglas

Postby Douglas » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:11 pm

Please could we have an article on setting up dual WiFi to share a WiFi connection. Using builtin WiFi and a usb WiFi dongle, something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MTTJOY?ta ... lelfnet-20

Thank you,

Douglas
Douglas

Previous

Return to Linux Voice