Official article suggestion thread

Comments and questions about the magazine

Re: Official article suggestion thread

Postby eftxk7 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:10 pm

orangedolphin wrote:
M-Saunders wrote:Don't most home internet connections block SMTP (port 25) for spam reasons though?

They do, but surely there must be a way around that especially when it's Sky and the like doing the blocking.

There is also the question of getting past the spam filters on the destination networks as well: "How to build a reputation for not sending spam when they're already flagging, bouncing, or deleting my mail was unclear."
eftxk7

Postby spitchell » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:19 pm

A recent kernel upgrade stopped my arch system booting. It took me a week to fix and I was only able because others on the arch forum had the same problem. I had to swap back to an older kernel, which I've never done before, but it was actually totally straightforward.

Anyway, contributors to the thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1579059#p1579059 are talking about bisecting the kernel https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bisecting_bugs to identify the commit that's causing the issue so it can be reported upstream.

This feels like (1) a process I might be capable of (2) something I have a vested interest in, since it affects my actual laptop, (3) a way that I might be able to contribute something back to the process of maintaining the distro.

The arch wiki is obviously brilliant, but I'm not sure when I'll have the time and gumption to start cross-referencing and figuring out the background knowledge it assumes. Might this process be suitable for a LV tutorial?
spitchell

Postby burghmuir » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:25 am

Hello LinuxVoice Forum

An article that may be of interesting for the magazine is Agile Development methods and how they are used to benefit Linux. This could cover different methodologies like Kanban, Scrum and waterfall. various procedures used in agile like daily stand-up, backlog refinement, epics and stories etc. Also the affects on remote working on a Linux project and collabriation. Possibly even cover the stages of development life cycle.

Having worked with Agile methods on commercial and closed-source projects I would be interested to see how they are applied in an open source environment.

I know this is a big topic and perhaps this could span several issues.

Just an Idea!
P.S. The magazine is a great read by the way
burghmuir

Postby hippytaff » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Can I request a cli special, with all the groovy cli stuff available for the discerning geek like byobu, screen, mutt and stuff and or maybe a comparison article comparing tmux, screen and byobu. Also I don't know if you guys know but Bodhi Linux distro is back and has forked the Enlightenment WM/DE, might be interesting to see something on this? :)
An interview with it's creator Jeff Hoogland would be a good insight for anyone thinking of setting up a small distro/community.
hippytaff

Postby brokkr » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:12 pm

I would suggest a feature - or maybe a VotM - on microdonations.

What are the options for supporting FOSS projects (apart from buying subscriptions to LV, of course)? Flattr, Patreon, paypal, etc. How do they compare? What do people use? Who 'deserves' donations and do donations favour only the most visible projects? What are the experiences of various FOSS projects? Do my 2€ matter to developers or projects? Is microdonations on the rise or was it a thing in 2012 and now everybody has moved on?

I recently renewed my Flattr account and I think it's a great idea but I'm pretty much limited to rewarding the same ten projects over and over as most projects aren't aware when they are being flattr'd. So I'd love to see some coverage on this topic to know what others are thinking and what - if any - impact it has apart from making me feel good for a little while.
brokkr

Postby Sbez01 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:31 am

Is there ideas where parallel programming ,cuda,Gpu array processing links should be programmed toward certain CPU and fpu processes where Linux or bsd may have methods ,alike miss or sgi not only as an arch,where arm/sparc crossovers,etc, too explain running database simple program processes with even BigData and Watson in bluemix ,for example,on your gala at or iPad,getting necessary updates too appreciate informations of what flops?etc?
Sbez01

Postby orangedolphin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Would a zsh tutorial be possible please? With a bit about the awesome Vim keybindings and a bit about scripting? I've been using this shell for a few months now, but I'm still a noob.
orangedolphin

Postby DonOregano » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:31 pm

I would love a feature on "best practice" when it comes to GPG key handling.
How should I ensure that my key is "safe"? Should I use subkeys with expiry dates? If so, how should I store the master key so that I don't lose it.
How are the professionals doing this?
With multiple devices, should I use different subkeys on each of them?
And what should I do about backups? Both of the keys itself, but also of keyring and trust and all that?

In fact, I would like an article that just tells me how to do it, rather than giving me options such as "you could do it like this, or you could do it like that, it is up to you".

The fact that I cant make up my mind about how to manage my keys is one of the bigger hurdles I have yet to overcome when it comes to encryption :-(
Please make my mind up for me!
DonOregano

Postby TenLeftFingers » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:25 am

I'm currently using linux to expand the functionality of my Amiga 1200.

SMBMounter[1] lets me mount my samba shares on the raspberry pi
Also, using a text mode browser on the pi will access to https sites, which the Amiga currently cannot do - hopefully soon though.

Unfortunately, SSH2 is only supported on OS4 and above so I will be installing telnet on the pi and using that to SSH from there. Every attempt to set up a telnet server to support classic setups including the C64, for example, has been a failure.

Bottom line - I'd ask for a tutorial to set up a telnet server for retro computing enthusiasts. Possibly too fringe, but I'm suggesting it anyway :geek:
1: http://www.robthenerd.com/smbmounter (open source)

Edit: There is now a Google Drive client for classic Amiga, with a Dropbox client in the works:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9guAQdbDA&feature=youtu.be
TenLeftFingers

core technology - threads

Postby eftxk7 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:23 am

In LV26 you write, "Threads are worth a Core Tech of their own (please drop us a line if you are interested in this subject"

I get a lot out of the Core Technology column and look forward to it every issue. It's always great. Since you ask and since I've been thinking to ask if such and article were possible anyway, I'd like to state my interest. It would be very interesting to read. I have no knowledge in the area, but vaguely recall that some architectures like SPARC are more suited for multiple threads, so maybe there is a hardware angle as well.
eftxk7

PreviousNext

Return to Linux Voice