Official article suggestion thread

Comments and questions about the magazine

Re: Official article suggestion thread

Postby vinima » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:32 am

Hello there,

I wanted Linux Voice community feedback on their interest in publishing an article or how-to on backup systems. I recently wrote an article titled "How-to create your data back-up strategy using Multi-period Snapshots on Rockstor". Draft version is available for next 10 daya at http://rockstor.com/blog/?p=909&draftsf ... QFPMcUu59Y.

This draft assumes familiarity with Rockstor installation and set-up and is a WIP document. I am still working on the last section of this draft, so apologies in advance if it comes across as confusing.

Does Linux Voice publish contributed articles? Will there be any interest in publishing this article or an article on Rockstor, which is a FOSS Network Attached Storage (NAS) and private cloud storage platform?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback.

Vinima
vinima

Postby M-Saunders » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:18 pm

vinima wrote:Does Linux Voice publish contributed articles? Will there be any interest in publishing this article or an article on Rockstor, which is a FOSS Network Attached Storage (NAS) and private cloud storage platform?

We are always on the lookout for new writers, so I'd suggest coming up with plan for such a tutorial and sending it to graham AT linuxvoice DOT com. Think of who would be interested in reading it, what benefits the reader gets, and how to make it accessible and snappy. Private cloud storage isn't the most exciting subject out there, but if you can make a Rockstor tutorial appealing to a wide range of Linux users, it may be doable.
M-Saunders

Postby jamesaharrisonuk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Hi,
Would anyone be interested in how to create a failover mysql database?
I have successfully implemented a mysql database with DRBD and heartbeat (lightweight and just works) on two nodes.
Used commercially for the past 4 years in large holiday web sites and has not failed once.

Very technical. My implementation uses RHEL.

Cheers,
James Harrison
jamesaharrisonuk

Postby orangedolphin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Please please please a tutorial on running your own webserver (if it could be on a raspberry pi, that would be a bonus).
orangedolphin

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:19 am

orangedolphin wrote:Please please please a tutorial on running your own webserver (if it could be on a raspberry pi, that would be a bonus).

That's certainly doable, and we've had a lot of requests for more server-related content. But getting Apache or Nginx up and running is fairly easy (advanced options aside), so what would you want to do with it when it's installed? Like, host WordPress or something else? If we could make the tutorial more than just installing a few packages, then I think it'd really be worth doing!
M-Saunders

Postby eftxk7 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:47 am

About orangedolphin's suggestion about running a web server, one aspect that can be covered is how the technology can be tuned to help the work flow. For static pages, it is easy to set up a mirror where the content is worked on before it is rolled out to the production server, or a version control system used to deal with updating the content. If standardized headers and footers are needed, then Server-side Includes (noexec) can fill that bill and still keep the site static. But maybe static pages, even with SSI noexec, though more secure and less work, are a bit out of fashion with all the emphases these days on CMS. I think it might be possible to have a CMS set up with a draft / staging area or safely spread out the site's load over several machines (TLS + HTTP + SQL) for availability or performance.

Everyone that runs a server connected to the Internet has experienced at least one kind of attack several times a year, or more. Or one question that I see coming up is how to mitigate common attacks against CMSes. One seen recently is many, geographically distributed (yet Windows) machines making random queries to keep the cache empty and strain the back end. Another is password guessers hammering on the admin interfaces. The more machines involved in the attack, the harder it is to mitigate, I think. A lot of the mitigation has to be left up to the hosting provider and their network people. However, in Apache2, mod_evasive is one thing that can help. Some hosting providers use a reverse proxy and that would mean adding mod_rpaf (or another similar module who's name I forget) on the back end.
eftxk7

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:25 am

Great ideas eftxk7 - thanks! We've already got issue 22 planned out, but something along these lines should be doable for 23.
M-Saunders

Postby orangedolphin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:50 pm

running your own webserver

damn, I meant emailserver... how did I mix that up :oops: ? I know email servers are a major pain in the back side, I managed to install one once on a ubunut server and it's still running, but despite my best effort I just don't seem to be able do it again on a different distro. I think a Raspberry Pi with some dynamic DNS and Let's encrypt certs would be great for the purpose of a small not very busy home email server.
orangedolphin

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Ah, I see :-)

orangedolphin wrote:home email server.

Don't most home internet connections block SMTP (port 25) for spam reasons though?
M-Saunders

Postby orangedolphin » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:56 pm

M-Saunders wrote:Don't most home internet connections block SMTP (port 25) for spam reasons though?

They do, but surely there must be a way around that especially when it's Sky and the like doing the blocking.
orangedolphin

PreviousNext

Return to Linux Voice