Excellent First Issue

Comments and questions about the magazine

Excellent First Issue

Postby Matt » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Just wanted to say congratulations and many thanks on getting the magazine out. I've been eagerly awaiting it since the campaign started, and really support your plans regarding giving back to the OSS community.

So I was ecstatic when the first issue arrived yesterday. I've been reading through and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I especially like having the PDF to keep on my tablet and laptop for reference.

If I may, I'd like to add some feedback and a few suggestions for the future?
  • LUG contact list and details of upcoming OSS conferences.
  • Articles on subjects like kernel customization and builds.
  • A 'distro of the month' article highlighting some of the more exotic versions that don't get much exposure.
  • Multi-issue articles - the Arch one is a perfect example, as following from install through customization and various updates over several months would be great.
  • Some of the Raspberry Pi or other hardware articles could work well also, as there's too much to cover in one article.
  • I'm particularly looking forward to some more Pi/Arduino stuff. I've been wanting to get started, but wasn't sure on best way to do it, or what projects to start with.
  • It's great that Linux gaming is gaining some traction, please keep this section going.
  • Love the bash and grep article, so would really enjoy more of the same.
  • Likewise the Euclid one - exactly the sort of thing I want from a mag, Would love similar mathematical themes explored with different programming languages and tools (Project Euler maybe? https://projecteuler.net).
  • DVDs not really needed from my point-of-view. Fine if only doing them a few times a year, but I don't see them as being worthwhile for most.

Thanks again, and I wish you all great success with the magazine. I can't wait for issue 2 (will catch up on podcasts as I seem to have missed those),

Matt
Matt

Re: Excellent First Issue

Postby liamdawe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:56 pm

It's great that Linux gaming is gaining some traction, please keep this section going.

I hope I can keep you interested in each new issue, Linux gaming sure has come a very long way!
GamingOnLinux.com - Daily gaming news, otherwise known as "Liam Dawes" by issue 1 :D
liamdawe

Postby Skiesare » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:23 am

I used to buy Linux Format every now and again but found that much of it was either irrelevant or uninteresting to me. I've only had a chance to flick through the new mag but it looks excellent. I didn't spot a single thing that I'd expect to skip over.

Is the DVD to be a permanent fixture? I don't think I ever used one from the old mag but if it adds little to the cost then we may as well have it. I wish you had put Mageia on it. That looks like a distro to try, but it won't take long to torrent.

Actually I've just read what you say about the DVD at the back of the mag.

Anyway, the main thing is, if I saw this mag on the news stand I would buy it, and I'd definitely chose it over the competition.

So thanks for producing it.
Skiesare

Postby Skiesare » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:39 am

OK, I now know why you didn't put Mageia on the DVD, it's 3.2gb.

I hope I don't have to retract any more of my comments because they were all good :)
Skiesare

Postby M-Saunders » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks Skiesare. We'll have the full 4GB version of Mageia 4 (with 9 desktops!) on issue 2's DVD. Because our discs are 8GB dual-layer, we can include the huge distros and still have space for other distros, software, videos etc.
M-Saunders

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 am

liamdawe wrote:
It's great that Linux gaming is gaining some traction, please keep this section going.

I hope I can keep you interested in each new issue, Linux gaming sure has come a very long way!

Good stuff, look forward to it. About to try out 0 A.D. after reading about it :)
Matt

Postby Rhakios » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 pm

M-Saunders wrote:videos etc.

Are these the "An Introduction to Linux" videos that have appeared on your Youtube channel?
Rhakios

Postby Graham » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:41 am

Hi Rhakios!

Are these the "An Introduction to Linux" videos that have appeared on your Youtube channel?

I think Mike has managed to get them onto the DVD (converted to Ogg Theora), but I believe he's made several other videos as well. Those videos on the YouTube channel are meant for more general consumption - hence their beginner content. It was something I'd meant to do for ages as the information isn't always going to be in the magazine.
Graham

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 am

Yes Rhakios, the Linux Voice DVD has some exclusive videos showing FOSSpicks applications, Wayland, ownCloud 6 features etc. We'll put them on the YouTube channel after a few months, but for now they're a good reason to try the disc.

Cheers,
Mike
M-Saunders

Postby CrashLog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:30 pm

I managed to finally get my hands on the mag, and I'm just about to finish going through it. Aside from the handful of typos that you've already been told about, I'd have to say this was an excellent read, and I'm happily going to make this my new go-to Linux magazine.

I'm wondering about a mystery item in FOSSPicks. The little banner on top of that section's first page says "Drukkar p30", but there's nothing about Drukkar in the section itself. Was this because of an accidental omission, space constraints, or something else, and will we see Drukkar covered in a future issue instead?
CrashLog

Next

Return to Linux Voice