I've created an online database of all the CC-BY-SA articles

Comments and questions about the magazine

I've created an online database of all the CC-BY-SA articles

Postby Gus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi

I wanted to peruse through the already published and free-to-read-and-share articles from this wonderful magazine but I found it difficult to look through the table of content of all the PDF files.
So, in a DIY world, since I didn't find what I want, I did it myself...

Here's the result:

go to lvarchivum.com
(it's "LV Archivum", with "Archivum", latin for "archives". Pronounce it Ar-'Kee-vum :D )

There must be some bugs, so don't hesitate to tell me
(This was a bit difficult since I was still discovering a python framework named Django. It was fun in the end, so I've added some additional functions like a rating system, comment, login to comment etc... :D )
Gus

Re: I've created an online database of all the CC-BY-SA arti

Postby towy71 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Coming soon...

This is not yet available to the public.
??
I see no ships :lol:
Wildest wet west Wales
towy71

Postby Aeyoun » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:02 am

I’m genuinely surprised someone from the community had to do this. I’d expect Linux Voice to want to monetize their back-catalog with ads under their own domain and control. I know their license allows for this kind of use, but it’s still surprising that someone else beat them to it. Then again, it seems the website isn’t a priority.
Aeyoun

Postby M-Saunders » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:06 am

Aeyoun wrote:I’d expect Linux Voice to want to monetize their back-catalog with ads under their own domain and control.

The reason we chose CC-BY-SA right from the start is so that anyone can make a website like Gus did above. That's a good thing! If all we were interested in was money, money, money, we would have chosen a completely different license and approach. We wanted to give content back so that anyone can do what they want with it, including hosting it elsewhere.

Aeyoun wrote:Then again, it seems the website isn’t a priority.

1. That was posted on 23rd of December. Do we not get a few days off for Christmas? :-)

2. You know what, making a great magazine for our readers is our priority. In an ideal world we'd have five full-time people working on the website and building stuff like what Gus is attempting. But we're a small team, our focus is the magazine, and if others in the community make good use of our free content, everyone benefits!
M-Saunders

Postby towy71 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks Mike for the reply and explanation, why are you here and not lying around in a drunken stupor? ;-)

I still see no ships Gus!
Wildest wet west Wales
towy71

Postby Gus » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Sorry for the delay, I've just put it online again

I've tried with this website to offer a reasonably good experience for the visitors, out of respect for the work done by LV team on this superb magazine
I hope you enjoy it!

Feel free to report any bugs, suggestions etc... ;)
The link again:
lvarchivum.com
Gus

Postby Gus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi all!

Thanks to the enormous work of the LinuxVoice team!
2 new issues for us to browse freely. That's terrific!
I've just implemented issue 13 and 14 in my website (which add to all the 12 issues already implemented) (with a little bit of polish by the way... Hope you'll like it!)

Feel free to comment, give suggestions etc... ;)
Gus

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 am

Good work, thanks Gus! I've added a link below the intro paragraph here:

https://www.linuxvoice.com/creative-commons-issues/
M-Saunders

Postby MarkC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Gus,

I'm perhaps a little biased, but I'm saddened to see Elvie relegated to part of the "mailserver" page, and as she only ends up in the PDF as an image, there's no way to find her in a search on your site.

Each Elvie strip gets posted to our website with a URL of the form http://peppertop.com/elvie/comic/elvie-010/ (where 010 is the number of the Elvie strip, rather than the issue of LV she appeared in, however with the exception of a "prequel" at 000, there's a 1:1 mapping at the moment). It would be great to see her listed as a separate entry in your database.

Each strip on our site has links to our Github repo where we post the full source files (mostly MyPaint & Inkscape), and each page also has a transcript of the comic which you're welcome to copy to your database if you want the comics to appear in searches.
Co-creator of The Greys, Elvie & Monsters, Inked webcomics:
• Web: http://www.peppertop.com/
• Facebook: http://facebook.com/PeppertopComics
• Twitter: http://twitter.com/PeppertopComics
MarkC

Postby Gus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:37 am

M-Saunders wrote:Good work, thanks Gus! I've added a link below the intro paragraph here:

https://www.linuxvoice.com/creative-commons-issues/

Thanks for the link. I'm glad you like it Mike!
MarkC wrote:Gus,

I'm perhaps a little biased, but I'm saddened to see Elvie relegated to part of the "mailserver" page, and as she only ends up in the PDF as an image, there's no way to find her in a search on your site.

It wasn't as easy and smooth as I thought (the "cut" with the next and previous section is difficult to do) but I finally managed to implement a new "Elvie" section!
Sorry for the omission, Elvie deserves her own section of course... ;)
Gus

Next

Return to Linux Voice