Subscriptions and Scripts

Comments and questions about the magazine

Subscriptions and Scripts

Postby mrslip » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi Guys,

I've been a subscriber since the crowdfunder; awesome job on the magazine, it never disappoints.

You've done numerous articles on privacy, and protecting oneself from malicious scripts, etc. Among those articles have been mentions of No-Script, which I use. My usual practice of browsing the web is to not allow any scripts. Of course a lot of websites these days won't deliver the content I'm after, unless scripts are enabled. So I will then selectively, temporarily enable certain scripts-- just enough to get my desired content. I've gotten pretty good at identifying by name, which scripts to allow to most quickly get what I want, without allowing all the others.

Given your advocacy for privacy and safety, I was very surprised by the large number of scripts running on the webpage you use for subscription renewal. I quickly discovered the "Add to Cart" button wasn't working, and knew I'd have to enable a script to make it work. After choosing several from the list and getting no love, I decided "I can trust these guys, I'll just click 'temporarily enable all' and get on with it." I did this, but the Cart button still didn't work. I actually had to temporarily enable all three times before the Cart would work. This tells me that your system is using scripts within scripts, that don't even show up on the list until other scripts have first been loaded. In all, at least eighteen scripts loaded before your Cart would function.

If all those scripts were necessary to make a cart work, I'd just swallow my indignation and move on. But we both know there are unnecessary ones in there too, such as google-analytics, and who knows what else? Certainly there are a lot of nefarious things being done with scripts on the Web at-large. If there weren't, you wouldn't recommend such things as No-Script. So, why all the scripts?

On a side note-- When I decided to contact you about this matter, I looked for a "Contact" link on your front page. Not seeing one at the top, I scrolled to the bottom. There are links at the bottom for things such as Tutorials, Forum, etc. The only problem is that I couldn't see those links because they were covered by a popup notice that your site uses cookies. That notice wouldn't go away and let me see the links underneath unless I first clicked the button accepting your cookies.

Seriously, guys, wouldn't you rather lead by example in these issues, instead of being part of the problem?

Thanks for a great magazine-- even with my dissatisfaction over subscriptions, I'm happy to keep receiving it.
mrslip

Re: Subscriptions and Scripts

Postby M-Saunders » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:35 am

Hi there,

We use an external service - TicTail - for our online shop. I know that means having to accept external JS, and in a perfect world we'd write our own shop from scratch which worked on everything right down to Lynx! But we're a small team 100% focused on making the magazine, so for now we have to use another shop provider. Thanks for understanding!
M-Saunders

Re: Subscriptions and Scripts

Postby Glomentic » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:39 am

mrslip wrote:Hi Guys,

I've been a subscriber since the crowdfunder; awesome job on the magazine, it never disappoints.

You've done numerous articles on privacy, and protecting oneself from malicious scripts, etc. Among those articles have been mentions of No-Script, which I use. My usual practice of browsing the web is to not allow any scripts. Of course a lot of websites these days won't deliver the content I'm after, unless scripts are enabled. So I will then selectively, temporarily enable certain scripts-- just enough to get my desired content. I've gotten pretty good at identifying by name, which scripts to allow to most quickly get what I want, without allowing all the others.

Given your advocacy for privacy and safety, I was very surprised by the large number of scripts running on the webpage you use for subscription renewal. I quickly discovered the "Add to Cart" button wasn't working, and knew I'd have to enable a script to make it work. After choosing several from the list and getting no love, I decided "I can trust these guys, I'll just click 'temporarily enable all' and get on with it." I did this, but the Cart button still didn't work. I actually had to temporarily enable all three times before the Cart would work. This tells me that your system is using scripts within scripts, that don't even show up on the list until other scripts have first been loaded. In all, at least eighteen scripts loaded before your Cart would function.

If all those scripts were necessary to make a cart work, I'd just swallow my indignation and move on. But we both know there are unnecessary ones in there too, such as google-analytics, and who knows what else? Certainly there are a lot of nefarious things being done with scripts on the Web at-large. If there weren't, you wouldn't recommend such things as No-Script. So, why all the scripts?

On a side note-- When I decided to contact you about this matter, I looked for a "Contact" link on your front page. Not seeing one at the top, I scrolled to the bottom. There are links at the bottom for things such as Tutorials, Forum, etc. The only problem is that I couldn't see those links because they were covered by a popup notice that your site uses cookies. That notice wouldn't go away and let me see the links underneath unless I first clicked the button accepting your cookies.

Seriously, guys, wouldn't you rather lead by example in these issues, instead of being part of the problem?

Thanks for a great magazine-- even with my dissatisfaction over subscriptions, I'm happy to keep receiving it.

its really hard to trust and expect more. its a good thing that you still keep on receiving it!
Glomentic

Return to Linux Voice