Linux-based home security?

Comments and questions about the magazine

Linux-based home security?

Postby RussH » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 am

Hi guys, just wondered if there's any appetite for a feature / irregular section on home automation / security devices either open-source, running Linux, or commercial devices that're repurposed :-)

I've reached that stage in life where I'm thinking of security cameras and sensors (okay, it's not Beirut!) and I'd be really disappointed if I'm looking at either some closed packaged system (probably cheapest!) or buying random ip cameras from China (and hoping they work) / or building raspberry Pi's.. (probably 'too custom!' and underpowered). I was amazed to see that there's an open-source project for ALPR (license plate recognition.. how cool is that!)*

With AT&T's 'Digital life' system licensed in the UK by O2 (*), and about to be rebranded and launched - we have a upcoming bubble of interest the area.. so I'm sure there will be more than just me looking for solutions..

Whaddya think?

1. http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/12 ... -hot-list/
2. http://news.o2.co.uk/?press-release=o2- ... ers-2016-2
RussH

Re: Linux-based home security?

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Articles relating to real-world, practical applications of Linux are always interesting to me, even if they don't lead to me using them directly.

So that's a +1 for an article/series of same, depending on the mileage you can get out of it.
Rhakios

Re: Linux-based home security?

Postby eionmac » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 pm

First theft from our urban house in 40 years. Our milk bottles and the carrier (plastic yellow bottle carrier) at outside door on driveway went walkies. Human security , the milk man , reported seeing some 'youths' at 5 am wandering a few streets away with milk bottles. Thus method known. Doubt CCTV or whatever of them would be of interest to police, but could you publish photos and brand as opportunistic takers of other 's drink? Lack of breakfast milk made me grumpy and some folk got more techie emails than was warranted when I got to work. Good news they did not take the car.
Question. At what level short of say murder is CCTV or other home security any use?
eionmac

Return to Linux Voice