Merging with Linux Magazine

Comments and questions about the magazine

Merging with Linux Magazine

Postby mickburkesnr » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:14 pm

As a subscriber, I just received the email about the magazine "merging" with Linux Magazine. I'm properly shocked by this, not angry, just shocked. The work on the magazines was always top notch, and in an environment where the print media is on the decline I was happy to see LV be released and visible on shop floors in the UK. It's just a shame that this has happened and I'd like to thank all of you at the magazine for the input, insights and knowledge you've given us over the last 32 issues.
mickburkesnr

Re: Merging with Linux Magazine

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks Mick -- but long may it last for the next 32 issues! In the merged magazine, of course. Just to reiterate, we're not going anywhere -- as you'll see when the new magazine arrives, we have a bumper Linux Voice section with FOSSpicks, features, tutorials from me, Graham, Ben, Andrew and other regulars. We're in this for the long run, but it just makes sense to combine our efforts now.

Thanks for your support!
M-Saunders

Postby bit101 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:34 pm

After a couple years away from Linux, I moved back earlier this year. LV has been my favorite magazine in that time. I just subscribed (digitally, from the US), and have also been enjoying the podcast. This news saddened me. Not for myself, but sorry that you guys were not able to make a living from providing a quality product. At any rate, glad that you'll still be around.

Keith
bit101

Postby ian » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Just received the email. What a shocker!! I've been a subscriber since the launch and wanted to say a big thank you to you all. When I first read the email it seemed like the project had failed but I now think that you are in a much better place than you where just before you all left the previous magazine. There a so many positives to take from what you guys have achieved. I've been living in Canada for the last 6 years after moving from the UK. Will your Linux Voice section be in the US version of the magazine? Even though I really enjoy your magazine I have to say that the main reason I initially funded you guys from the crowd funding days is because of the podcast. I had been a new listener to your previous podcast and your podcast is different to the rest in that it's just one long laugh. I sit down with a beer and know I'm going to get a good hour of entertainment. I remember the last episode when you all quit on air. Now that was a shock!!! I thought,contribute to the magazine and I get to carry on listening to my favourite podcast. Have you guys thought about trying to fund your podcast through Patreon or similar, even if it just pays for your beer expenses whilst recording it. I would definitely throw some money your way. Log live the podcast. Thanks for everything and Good Luck for the future.
ian

Postby Huw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:13 pm

I don't know anything about Linux Magazine so I'm looking forward to my first issue as a subscriber. I have to echo what bit101 says, though: it saddens and annoys me that such a quality and principled magazine can't make money these days.

Thanks for everything, Mike, Ben, Graham and Andrew. I wish you all the best in your latest venture!
Huw

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks Ian and Huw! Yes, the Linux Voice section will be part of all editions around the world. We've worked hard on it, making sure we can retain our voice and style and choice of articles, and Linux Magazine is a good fit. The support from our community has been fantastic over the last three-ish years, and a real incentive to go on and write about the software we love. So we're happy that we can keep Linux Voice going in a new home. Thanks!
M-Saunders

Postby towy71 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:28 pm

Great know that I will still be getting my Linux fix from you guys, onwards and upwards :D
Wildest wet west Wales
towy71

Postby Triviadave » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

I'd just like to echo all the previous comments. It's such a shame that you weren't able to keep things going, especially since the magazine seemed to reflect your attitudes to Linux, FOSS and the open source community in such a personal way; listening to the podcast just seemed to emphasise how important to you the founding principles of LV were and I am especially glad that it will continue.

I hope you find a welcoming home with Linux Magazine (I bought my first copy of it last night as they were giving a DVD with the full contents of all their previous magazines, but haven't had a chance to read it yet, I can only hope it shows this is the way things were fated to be), and I look forward to continuing to read whatever contributions you make.

Finally, I would like to second the idea of seeing if you can get funding for the podcast via Patreon or similar. I have listened to every podcast religiously since I saw you on Indiegogo, and look forward to every one. I would gladly contribute to ensure that it continues.

So long (LV) and thanks for all the fish.
Triviadave

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Cheers Triviadave. Yes, Linux Magazine has been a welcoming home -- we wouldn't have done this merger otherwise. It was important to us that we maintain our voice, style and content in our section, and choose what we write about, and the LM team have been great with that. So long may it continue! (Plus there's a lot of quite geeky and interesting stuff elsewhere in LM that'd also fit into a standalone Linux Voice, so we hope readers enjoy that content too.)
M-Saunders

Postby bit101 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Question: in the email, you said:

"Linux Magazine releases their issues for free (as in beer) a year after they're published. You can browse past issues and view articles online at http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues.

But on that page, I see only links to buy past issues back to at least 2005. It looks like you can read the older articles on line, on an article-by-article basis, but can't download the issue pdf.
bit101

Next

Return to Linux Voice