Merging with Linux Magazine

Comments and questions about the magazine

Re: Merging with Linux Magazine

Postby heyshamsw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Just read the email about the merger. I'm sorry to see Linux Voice go as a stand-alone magazine but glad to see you live on, and I'm sure thrive, as part of Linux Magazine. The heart of Linux Voice was always the four of you as a team so I'm super-please to see you continue to work together. Whatever the deal is with Linux Magazine, they've got a bargain.
heyshamsw

Postby Rhakios » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:38 pm

Sorry if this is an obvious question to which I've overlooked the answer, but will the LV website continue pretty much as it is? For all the wonderful things LM do, running a good web site isn't one of them.
Rhakios

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:47 am

Rhakios wrote:Sorry if this is an obvious question to which I've overlooked the answer, but will the LV website continue pretty much as it is? For all the wonderful things LM do, running a good web site isn't one of them.

Yes, this website will continue, with the podcasts, forum, CC back issues, and other updates!
M-Saunders

Postby johnlane » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:43 pm

There are three threads discussing this change: this forum thread, plus this and this. Oh, and also IRC :) Is there a way to narrow this down to one?

I just wondered a couple of things:

* any chance LM giving us subscribers a "welcome gift" of a download of the DVD that they published with issue 192 and contains all prior issues ?
* will the LV shop re-emerge to sell off any merchandise left? I had meant to get a mug but never got around to it...

I just downloaded the digital LM193 and look forward to seeing what the future holds...
johnlane

Postby orangedolphin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm glad that you guys can carry on, albeit in a slightly different way. Thanks for all the great articles and all the best in the future! I can't wait to read more from you in Linux Magazine.
orangedolphin

Postby mrslip » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm sad the dream of independence didn't work out for you guys. I've always been an independent businessman myself, and I know the long hours required to make a go of it. I'm sure you guys are exhausted. Hopefully this new direction will work out for the best.

The link you provided for access to the Linux Magazine digital subscription does not work.
https://www.linux-magazine.com/lnmshop/start

Yesterday it brought up a login page. Repeated attempts to log in failed. It didn't appear to be an authentication problem-- after pressing Submit the page just froze in the process of loading. I run No-Script, so I tried allowing the scripts on the page-- no help. I even tried globally enabling scripts (something I hate to do), but it still wouldn't load.

Today the login page doesn't even come up.

Hard to imagine Linux Voice subscribers would put a large enough load on their system to crash it. With that many subscribers you guys would still be on your own. Is anyone else having trouble accessing Linux Magazine's site?
mrslip

Postby Rhakios » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:35 pm

As noted elsewhere, I had trouble logging on to the LM subs section. They responded the same night to my emails and it eventually worked when they issued me with a new password.
Rhakios

Postby mrslip » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:10 pm

I just tried again. The login page still won't even load for me today.
mrslip

Postby Huw » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Hmm...it worked just fine for me.
Huw

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am

Hi John,

johnlane wrote:will the LV shop re-emerge to sell off any merchandise left? I had meant to get a mug but never got around to it...

We're completely out of that, I'm afraid! Of course, if there was enough demand we may be able to make some more Linux Voice mugs and/or T-shirts -- but doing very small orders is rather expensive, so there'd have to be decent demand. Maybe we can ask on the podcast :-)

Mike
M-Saunders

PreviousNext

Return to Linux Voice